Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Day #26 - Chili & Cornbread

About a year ago, Jim decided he wanted to try making homemade chili all by himself. I was skeptical at first, but eventually consented after he assured me he would find a recipe and follow it. He ended up finding a really awesome recipe and made a few modifications to accommodate our taste preferences. And let me tell you - it was fantastic! We've had the recipe sitting around but he never made it since.....until tonight! Again - since it's Wednesday, Jim was in charge of dinner and he didn't disappoint! Homemade chili and cornbread - Yum!

As a small side note: I decided that if I am going to continue cooking and posting my meals, I am going to stop calculating nutritional information. It's the most time consuming part of this whole goal and the only reason some of my posts don't get published in time is because I haven't had time to do the nutritional information. So until further notice - I will continue posting the recipes and directions - but will skip the nutritional info unless it is requested on a particular recipe OR unless the nutritional information is already available from a recipe I have followed and all I have to do is copy it.


Ingredients (don't be intimidated by the amount of ingredients):

2 lbs Ground Beef / Turkey
1 lb Ground Italian Sausage
3 Cans Chili Beans in Mild Sauce (do not drain)
1 can chili beans in Spicy Sauce **
2 Cans Diced Tomatoes with Juice
1 Can Tomato Paste
1 Large Yellow Onion, Chopped
1 Green Bell Pepper, Chopped
1 Red Bell Pepper, Chopped
2 Green Chili Peppers, Seeds Removed and Chopped
3 Tbsp Bacon Bits
1 tsp Sugar
4 Cubes Beef Bouillon
1/2 Cup Beer
1/4 Cup Chili Powder
1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
1 Tbsp Dried Oregano
2 tsp Ground Cumin
2 tsp Tabasco Sauce
1 tsp Dried Basil
Salt & Pepper to Taste
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 tsp Paprika

** We used 4 cans of chili beans in mild sauce because once you add all the other ingredients, you will get a big enough kick of spiciness. I think the beans in spicy sauce is overkill.

Directions:

Heat a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Brown beef and sausage. Drain off excess grease.

Add remaining ingredients and stir to blend. Cover and let simmer over low heat for at least 2 hours. Longer if you can - the key to good flavor is simmering. Adjusting seasoning if needed after two hours.

Serve with Corn chips, sour cream, shredded cheddar and / or cornbread.



No comments:

Post a Comment