Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Day #12 - Slow Cooker Roast

I love the idea of cooking in a slow cooker....I have used my slow cooker many times. However, I am not convinced that it is the best option when you are away from the house for 10+ hours each day. Most recipes call for a cooking time of between 6 and 8 hours. Which means my food will sit in the slow cooker for 2 to 4 hours before we get home. I have tried making a chicken dish in the slow cooker once before while we were away at work, and it turned out way over cooked. Our slow cooker automatically switches to "warm" mode after the allowed cook time has passed, but I'm convinced it's "warm" setting is still too high for just keeping food warm. It continues to cook the food. So I don't use my slow cooker very often....usually on the weekends or when someone is going to be home to monitor the food's progress.
Today qualified as a "crock pot day". It's Wednesday again, which means Jim was in charge of dinner tonight. He took advantage of the crock pot and made a fabulous "set it and forget it" roast with carrots, potatoes and a salad. It was REALLY good - so good that I am taking leftovers for lunch tomorrow!




Ingredients:

1 Small to Medium Sized Roast
1 Medium Onion, Cut
2 Carrots, Diced
3 Stalks of Celery, Diced
3 Large Potatoes, Cubed
1 Package McCormick's Slow Cooker Roast Mix

Directions:

Place vegetables and roast in the slow cooker. Mix roast seasoning with 1 cup of water and pour over roast and veggies. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.

Nutritional Information (Approximately for 3 oz of Roast, 1/2 cup potato, 1/4 cup carrot, gravy):

Total Calories: 350 cal

Total Fat: 23 g

Total Carbs: 12 g

Total Protein: 25 g

No comments:

Post a Comment