Monday, January 10, 2011

Day #10 - Waffles

Work was extremely busy today - I worked through my lunch break, hoping I could get enough done to get off on time. Didn't quite work out that way. The plan was to make my yummy Sloppy Joe mix, but because I didn't get home early enough, Jim made us quick and easy waffles.....from a bag.

But really, the mix is simply flour and baking powder - we just added the milk and eggs! Who doesn't LOVE waffles? It was Totally Good!




Since we made our waffles from a mix in a bag, I am going to post my all-time favorite home made waffle recipe. And since I threw away the bag from the waffle mix long ago when I transferred the dry goods to a handy Tupperware storage container, I don't have the nutritional information for you either. But I will provide the nutritional information for the recipe I am providing.

"Eating Well Waffles"

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup whole-wheat flour
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 cups nonfat buttermilk (we keep a small canister of the powdered buttermilk on hand for times like this)
  • 1 large egg, separated
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract (this is listed as optional - but for me, it's a MUST and totally makes these worth making)
  • 2 large egg whites
  • 2 tablespoons sugar (we use Splenda)

  • Directions:
  • Stir whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a large bowl. Whisk buttermilk, the egg yolk, oil and vanilla (if using) in a separate bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon just until moistened.
  • Beat the 3 egg whites in a grease-free mixing bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add sugar and continue beating until stiff and glossy. Whisk one-quarter of the beaten egg whites into the batter. Fold in the remaining beaten egg whites with a rubber spatula.
  • Preheat a waffle iron. Brush the surface lightly with oil. Fill the waffle iron two-thirds full of batter. Cook until the waffles are crisp and golden, 5 to 6 minutes. Repeat with the remaining batter, brushing the surface with oil before cooking each batch.
Top with Mrs. Butterworth's Sugar Free Syrup and you're good to go!

  • Nutritional Information (Approximately for 1 Whole Waffle):

Total Calories: 241 cal

Total Fat: 4 g

Total Carbs: 41 g

Total Protein: 11 g

No comments:

Post a Comment