Thursday, February 10, 2011

Day #40 - Chicken Fajitas

I've been giving Kayla piano lessons for the last couple of weeks. We finally got through the first half of the beginners book so we had my parents over for dinner and a short recital afterwards. We made chicken fajitas for dinner and they were absolutely amazing!!! Whenever I have made fajitas in the past, I have used one of those seasoning packets you buy at the store and I have ALWAYS been disappointed. I was a little hesitant to try making them using my own spices, but it turned out so good! I will never buy a seasoning packet from the store again!

Today I brought some leftover sauteed veggies and chicken to make a fajita salad for lunch! The calorie content for dinner was a little high because of the tortillas - cutting out the tortillas and putting the sauteed goodness on a bed of shredded lettuce cuts the calorie count by 240 calories!!! My mouth is watering just thinking about it!





I added this picture just because I thought the colors were AWESOME!


Ingredients:

1 lb Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
Salt & Pepper
2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
2 Tbsp Fresh Lime Juice
2 Red or Green Peppers, Sliced Thin
1 Onion, Sliced Thin
1 tsp Chili Powder
1/2 tsp Cumin
2 to 4 Tbsp Water
1 tsp Tobasco Sauce
10 Flour Tortillas (Fajita Size)

Directions:

Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel and slice it into 1/2 inch wide strips.

Heat 1 Tbsp of the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add the chicken adn cook through, about 4 minutes. Toss with fresh lime juice.

In a separate pan, add the remaining 1 Tbsp oil to the skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the pepeprs, onion, chili powder, cumin, 1/2 tsp salk and 2 Tbsp of water. Cook, scraping up any browned bits, until the oinion is softened (about 5 minutes). Add remaining water as needed to prevent the pan from scorching.

Return chicken to heat on the stove. Stir in the Tobasco and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Stack the tortillas on a microwave-safe plate, cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high about 40 to 60 seconds.

Serve with cheese, sour cream, guacamole and whatever other toppings your little heart desires.

Nutritional Information (Approximately For 2 Fajitas):

Total Calories: 538 cal

Total Fat: 12 g

Total Carbs: 24 g

Total Protein: 32 g

No comments:

Post a Comment