Thursday, February 10, 2011

Day #41 - Stuffed Chicken

Have I ever mentioned how much I LOVE sun-dried tomatoes? I'm always looking for awesome recipes with these little bad boys in it. Safeway used to have these amazing sun-dried tomato bagels that I would buy ALL the time - especially when they were on sale. And then one day, I went to buy some because I was completely out - and they were nowhere to be found!!! They just all of a sudden stopped selling them!!! Looking back, it may have been a good thing that they did away with them - but at the time, I was kind of upset! Anyway....

Jim was helping me plan the menu for the next couple of weeks when we came across this yummy recipe for stuffed chicken breasts. The original recipe alone looked SO good - and then I noticed it mentioned other "mix-in" options - one of them being SUN-DRIED TOMATOES!!! I thought I had died and gone to heaven....it was the best day ever to make this discovery.

My only critique: The recipe calls for 2 tsp of Thyme. I almost didn't put it in - but decided I might as well since part of this adventure is all about trying new things. Next time - I will add basil instead - the Thyme didn't go very well with the sun-dried tomatoes. But even so - this was actually still a REALLY good meal!



Ingredients:

8 oz Light Cream Cheese
4 oz Goat Cheese, Softened
2 tsp Minced Thyme (or basil)
1 Cup Oil-Packed Sun-Dried Tomatoes (drained, patted dry and minced)
1 Garlic Clove, Minced
Salt & Pepper
6 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
3/4 Cup Fat Free Mayonnaise
2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
2 tsp Fresh Lemon Juice
3 Cups Bread Crumbs

Directions:

Adjust oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 425 degrees.

Beat the cream cheese, goat cheese, thyme (or basil), garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper together until smooth.

Pound the chicken to an even 1/4 inch thickness. Pat dry with a paper towel, then season with salt and pepper. Mound 1/4 cup of the cream cheese filling at the wider end of the chicken. Form the cheese into a log and then roll the chicken up.

Arrange the chicken rolls, seam-side down, about 1/2 inch apart in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish, coated lightly with vegetable spray.

Mix any remaining cream cheese filling with the mayonnaise, mustard, and lemon juice, then brush the mixture over the tops and sides of the chicken. Press the breadcrumbs onto the tops and sides of the chicken rolls.

Bake until the breadcrumbs are golden and the very center of the chicken rolls registers 160 degrees on an instant-read thermometer, about 30 minutes.

Nutritional Information (Not Available For This Recipe - Sorry).


No comments:

Post a Comment