Sunday, February 20, 2011

Day #43 - Chicken & Dumplings

I've been wanting to make Chicken & Dumplings for the last 12 months, but have never gotten the courage to do so. I have printed out multiple recipes for such a meal, but have never followed through with actually making it. I read review after review after review for the best dumpling recipe. I finally settled on this one and Jim and I were really disappointed with the dumplings. The "chicken" part, however, was REALLY good and we ended up having a chicken stew type dinner.

I do have to say though, that Miley really enjoyed the dumplings. She got all of our - at least they didn't go to waste.


Ingredients:

Stew -

2 Cans Cream of Chicken Soup
3 Cups Water
1 Cup Celery, Chopped
2 Onions, Chopped
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Poultry Seasoning
1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
4 Skinless, Boneless Chicken Breast Halves
5 Carrots, Sliced
1 Package Frozen Corn (10 oz)
4 Potatoes, Quartered

Dumplings -

1 Egg
1/4 Cup Milk
1-1/2 Cups Flour
1-1/2 tsp Baking Powder

Directions:

In a large pot, combine soup, water, chicken, celery, onion, salt, poultry seasoning, and pepper. Cover and cook over low heat for about 1-1/2 hours.

Add potatoes and carrots. Cover and cook another 30 minutes.

Remove chicken from the pot, shred or cube it, and return it to the pot. Add corn and cook for five additional minutes.

To make dumplings: Mix egg, milk, four and baking powder until a soft dough forms.

After making dumpling mix, bring stew to a boil. Drop by tablespoonfuls of dumpling mix onto BOILING stew. Simmer covered for 10 minutes, then uncover and simmer and additional 10 minutes.

ENJOY!

A friend from work told me I should stick to using Bisquik for my dumplings. I insisted on trying the "old fashioned" way - but was really disappointed. Next time I make this (if there is ever such a thing), I will try it the Bisquik way as was recommended. Next time I will listen to her the first time!

No comments:

Post a Comment