Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Day #117 - Thrown Together Shrimp

I'm beginning to think of myself as a culinary genius!

No really - I'm being serious. You can stop laughing now. I'm not claiming to be some sort of Martha Stewart or Rachel Ray knockoff, and I admit that most days, I resort to following someone else's recipe. But there have been many occasions where I have been able to throw together some pretty dang good meals with little or no effort.

Sometimes, I get these amazing ideas in my head while I'm at work, and I write them down so I won't forget them. Sometimes these ideas are food related - other times not so much. Today, while furiously plowing through a pile of junk on my desk, out of the blue - I had an AHA! food moment. It was after this moment that I called my husband and asked him to take the bag of shrimp out of the freezer - we were having shrimp tonight!

Now - my husband and daughter are fried shrimp kind of people. So I already knew I was going to batter and fry up a few to satisfy their needs. And then - after their bellies were full - I set out on a mission. My initial thought was to make a really yummy shrimp salad with a citrus dressing. But when I got home and saw the big tub of garlic staring at me in the fridge, I knew a shrimp salad just wouldn't do. In the end, I ended up just throwing together some of my favorite ingredients and flavors that we had in the fridge and came up with this delicious beauty of a dish (the picture doesn't do it justice).



The best part about this recipe, is the spinach. It soaks up of the flavor that gets left behind in the pan - it's really adds a bold flavor to this meal. You will LOVE it! I liked it so much - I made some more to take for lunch tomorrow!

Ingredients:

12 Jumbo Prawns (Shelled & Deveined)
4 Cups Fresh Spinach
4 tsp Minced Garlic
Juice From 1/2 Fresh Lemon
1 Tbsp Butter (I used Smart Balance - Light)

Directions:

Melt 1/2 the butter in a saute pan and saute garlic until just browned. Add shrimp and cook for 1.5 minutes. Turn shrimp and cook for an additional minute. Add most of the lemon juice to the pan and continue to cook shrimp for an addition 30 to 45 seconds. Remove shrimp from the pan and set aside. In the same pan, add remaining butter and then add spinach. Top spinach with remaining lemon juice and stir. When spinach is completely wilted, remove and plate. Top spinach with shrimp and enjoy!

Nutritional Information (Approximately For 6 Shrimp & 2 Cups Wilted Spinach)

Total Calories: 164 cal.

Total Fat: 2.5 g

Total Carbs: 6 g

Total Protein: 29 g

No comments:

Post a Comment