Saturday, August 31, 2013

Paleo Banana Muffin With Strawberry Spread



One thing you will note right away is that I am NOT a photographer by any means.  Most of the pictures I will be posting throughout this journey will be taken with my iPhone and edited with basic photo editing software (in other words, the free stuff that comes on your computer).  If I make this process too time consuming, I won't stick with it, so it has to be relatively easy in order it to be successful. 

It just so happens I have a friend who is embarking on this Paleo journey at the same time as me, so it has been fun bouncing recipe ideas off of each other and sharing where the cheapest place is to get Paleo approved ingredients.  This friend of mine messaged me about these muffins and raved about how delicious they were, heated up and drizzled with the strawberry topping.  So of course I had to make them and we tried them this weekend.

This first recipe is definitely a winner when you're in the mood for something sweet.  It would also be good as a breakfast treat because you feel like you're eating dessert for breakfast!

Paleo Banana Muffins With Strawberry Spread:

Muffins:
1/2 Cup Almond Flour
1/4 Cup Coconut Flour
1 Tbsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Nutmeg
1/4 tsp Seat Salt
3 Large Ripe Bananas 
4 Eggs, Room Temperature
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 Tbsp Raw Honey
6 Tbsp Coconut Oil, Melted

Strawberry Spread:
1/2 Cup Coconut Oil
1/2 Cup Honey
4 Fresh Strawberries (I used 7 Strawberries & 5 Raspberries)

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine the flours, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sea salt in a medium mixing bowl.  Stir with a form to combine and to break apart any chunks.  Set aside.
3. Place the bananas, eggs, and vanilla extract in a blender and blend until combined.  Add in the coconut oil and honey and blend well until smooth.  Add the flour mixture and blend to combine.
4. Pour the mixture into lined muffin tins (makes enough for 12 muffins).
5. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
6. Left muffins cool.

While Muffins Are Cooling:
7. Place the coconut oil and raw honey in a food processor or blender and blend until combined.
8. Add your berries and blend until smooth.
9. Serve spread with the muffins.

After letting the muffins cool off right out of the oven, my husband, Logan and I shared one.  Logan had no complaints - he smacked his lips and chowed down.  My husband and I both noted the difference in texture right away, but I thought the flavor was still good.  I decided to whip up the berry spread and ended up adding a couple more strawberries and a handful of raspberries because they were starting to go bad and I needed to use them.  With the addition of the berry spread on top of a heated up muffin, these things were AMAZING and you forgot about the texture difference.  

I would definitely make these again!

Original Recipe Taken From: Paleo Cupboard (http://www.paleocupboard.com/) and Slightly Modified

No comments:

Post a Comment